Monday, July 9, 2007

Oh They Got Me! The Chills, They Got Me!

You know, you never realize how much hair you have until it all starts falling out. My hair literally all fell out in a span of 3 days. I won't lie, I did freak out the first 2 days. It was just sooooo much hair. I was pulling clumps out every time I touched my head and every morning my pillow was covered in hair. My brother Eduardo (who just recently shaved his head) swears I'm trying to copy him. I must say though, the breeze feels good on my bald head.

That's the thing though, it fell out so fast, I only had like 2 days to mourn it before it was all gone. Then it was pointless to cry over something that was done. I liked that. The first time my hair fell out, it thinned out slowly over 6 agonizing months. And even then I didn't have any bald spots. This was done and over in under 5 days. I don't have to worry about it or think about it anymore.

These last 5 days have been crazy. My hair fell out, I got an eye infection, and I developed another infection that my doctors think is from my port. The eye infection is actually starting to go away now (I was scared it was pink eye but it wasn't), the doctor gave me a prescription antibiotic eye cream that's really working. Of course I had to deal with the pink eye jokes first but at least it's going away.

Then came the unknown infection. The fever and chills started on Friday night. I tried to ignore it because I thought I was just tired but by Saturday night I realized it wasn't going away. By the time I got to the ER I had a fever of 103 and was shivering from the "cold." The nice thing about being a chemo patient is that they don't mess around! Usually it's first come-first serve (I can't decide if I agree with that, I think more critical patients should be seen first but then who's considered more important? tricky dilemma), but being that I'm a chemo patient I was helped right away. 4 hours later they sent me home with antibiotics, instructions to keep taking Tylenol if the fever persists, and with no idea as to what I might have.

So since early Sunday, I've been taking the Tylenol because the fever is not going away. The worst part is the chills. It feels as if the cold has settled deep into my bones and refuses to leave, no matter how much clothing I put on or how many covijas I put on top of me. It just drains my energy. Because every test has come back ok they think it might be my port so they're taking it out tomorrow. I had gotten used to the little guy, I'm actually going to miss it. Isn't that weird? I was going to have the last cycle of chemo before the transplant this week but because of the infection, it's being delayed for a week. And I don't regret it! Although, the whole month had been carefully planned out, this pushes everything back so now I have to change all the appointments.

I swear, all in 5 days, the things that can happen. I was surprised I got sick. They warned me that I might but I guess I never actually believed it until it happened. Just like my hair.

Aside from this, I saw 2 movies that I was glad I saw back-to-back: All the President's Men and Dick. I really liked All the President's Men. It had Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman playing the 2 reporters from The Washington Post that exposed the Watergate scandal. Then I watched Dick and it was a funny counterpoint. In it, Kristin Dunst and Michelle Williams play 2 girls who go to work for President Nixon as his dog walkers and become involved in the Watergate scandal. I don't think I would have liked it as much had I not seen All the President's Men first. I'm not really saying much about this, I know, but suffice it to say that I enjoyed both movies.

I can't wait to watch the new Harry Potter movie! I have to wait though, until this infection goes away. Hopefully by next weekend!!!

So I read this quote by Roger Ebert when he reviewed Apocalypse Now (which is next on my list):

"If we are lucky, we spend our lives in a fool's paradise, never knowing how close we skirt the abyss."

Word.

No comments: